Kodiak's Blog

Locations of visitors to this page

Monday, April 17, 2006

Eye exam

Hello,
I wanted to let you know that my eyes have been diagnosed with Keratoconus. Keratoconus is the thinning and bulging of the cornea. I was hoping to have eye surgery to correct my poor vision. There are a few preceedures that can correct Keratoconus, but are not yet FDA approved here in the States. For now I will need to get contact lenses. But may need to have corneal replacements sometime in the future when contacts will no longer be helpful. This has been the cause of my blurry vision from time to time. One preceedure: Intacs ® are clear, thin prescription inserts placed in the periphery of the cornea (under the surface) by an ophthalmologist during a brief outpatient procedure. Intacs for the treatment of keratoconus is an FDA approved procedure may help.
Bruce

5 Comments:

  • I will continue praying for you in this.

    By Blogger Swinging Sammy, at April 18, 2006 5:18 AM  

  • Thanks Sammy

    By Blogger Kodiak, at April 18, 2006 5:29 AM  

  • saying a prayer for you and your eyes.

    By Blogger michelle, at April 19, 2006 10:39 PM  

  • My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    I had a cornea graft 4 weeks ago due to keratoconus - don't go down that route unless you have to. I had no choice.

    Mainly don't forget that keratoconus is a condition that can be managed.

    Finally I have kept my keratoconus diary up on my blog - take a read if you like.

    By Blogger pao, at April 23, 2006 6:29 PM  

  • Following on from your comment to me:

    I have never used contact lenses.

    Part of my problem has been optometrists who either didn't know what the underlying problem was or thought that they could find a lens to prescribe.

    It was only late last year that I found an optom who knew what the issues were, sadly my KC had progressed to such an extent that contacts were no longer an option.

    Hence the graft pretty much straight away. I think I have just been unfortunate over the years. Most KC patients spend years with contacts and that is all they ever need. I just happen to be one of the 10% or so that needed a graft as well.

    I am happy though, the Lord has been there with me and I can honestly say that I have not been particularly worried, the only thing I was challenged about was the donor cornea - I found that ethically a challenge to pray about.

    God Bless.

    By Blogger pao, at April 24, 2006 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home