Kodiak's Blog

Locations of visitors to this page

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Be prepared to use your training

You never know when you'll need it, the training, but you should always be ready to use it. What am I talking about? Back in Fall 1976, I was sent for Basic Shipboard training. Included in this training was damage control, NBC Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare and firefighting. Part of the fire course meant you had to go through the smokehouse (not for smoking meats). After I had entered into the smokehouse I had to make my way through the maze going up and down stairs and several twist and turns. It was extremely dark.

When I finally got aboard ship, we had routine fire drills and I was made lead fireman (the one closest to the fire). When you are at sea you need to be prepared to fight any and all fires. Fortunately, no such fire came. I left the ship in Fall of 1977 and after my temporary assignment in Virgina, I was sent to Alaska. While living in the barracks we had regular fire drills. After working late one evening, I finally was able to crash. A few hours later, I faintly heard a fire alarm. I had attended all the previous fire drills so I thought I would sleep through this drill. As usual, someone would knock on the door to ensure everyone heard the fire alarm. I muttered a groggy yeah yeah I know and started to go back to sleep. Well it was not long afterwards when the olfactory senses kicked and I smelled smoke. This was no fire drill, it was the real deal. I quickly got dressed and as I went to exit the barracks, I head cries for help. Several others could not locate the exits and needed assistance to get out of the building. My room was located near the exit so I yelled at the others to follow my voice. One by one about 14 in all made it to the exit and left the building and made it to safety.

What has God been teaching you? Be prepared to use it someday.

\o/ Praises

2 Comments:

  • I've never been in a real fire, thanks be to God, but I always pay attention in the drills, you never know when you will need it.
    Not sure what I am being prepped for, but I hope I am up to the challenge when it comes...

    By Blogger Swinging Sammy, at October 07, 2006 10:32 AM  

  • It's easy to panic during a real threat to safety. I've seen pros panic.

    By Blogger Kodiak, at October 07, 2006 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home